Saturday, October 30, 2010

Seven

The holiday season is upon us. Don't be fooled by the fact that it's barely November. Macy's started showing it's holiday commercials at the beginning of October (and I do have to admit that even though they are a bit early they are great commercials), and I watched a commercial for Glade Scented Candles just a few minutes ago.

With the holidays comes spending money. Empty wallets and low bank accounts! This post is inspired by the fact that after my rent is due on the 1st I'll be eating oatmeal for the next few days until payday. Ahhh, the joys of being a poor recent grad.

Between buying gifts and paying for outrageously priced travel fair I know I'm going to be broke until January. There are lots of ways to save extra money, and I feel like right now is the best time of year to actually do some of these things.

1. Bring you lunch/dinner/coffee/etc... from home. No really. I know this is something that when you read it you think to yourself, duh. But living in the city, or anywhere for that matter, eating out is EXPENSIVE. Even if you think treating yourself once a week adds up. Save your receipts and add them up at the end of the week. $10 a meal, at least. At the end of the month, that's a nice gift for mom or dad...or mom and dad if you're particularly cheap (like myself).

2. Have a night in, instead of a night out. Invite your buddies over for dinner and a movie. If everyone brings one thing to contribute to the meal you'll save tons and have just as much fun.

3. New York, has so many free or pay as you wish museums and galleries. The Met, for examples, is a suggested donation fee to get it. You could give them a dollar and go inside. You don't have to spend money to go somewhere enjoyable.

Time Out New York's 50 Things To Do Under $5, is great. Go read it. And save your money!

Now all I have to think about is what I'm going to get people for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment